Sugar Free + LCHF (With a Dairy Free Option)
It’s cold outside… nay… Its freakin’ freezing outside (well by
Cape Town standards anyway) and I want warm stuff - on me, around me and definitely IN me!
I’ve never really been one for flavoured or herbal teas. I like Rooibos tea, served black, and that’s it. And I drink loads of hot water with fresh lemon, and sometimes a sliver of ginger in, too. Oh, and of course, the best coffee I can afford made ‘My Way’: creamed with an egg and butter. You remember? It’s the ONLY way I make it now, no milk needed.
But then last week, I was out with a friend, and I smelt it… the aroma wafted alluringly my way, and I almost dunked my entire nose in my dear friend’s steaming mug of milky spice. It was love at first waft. She let me have a sip… well, the flavours and scents of cinnamon, ginger, cloves and cardamom made me feel positively drunk. Masala Intoxication! How divine. I wanna BATH in this stuff!
I went straight out and bought a box of Chai Tea flavoured with vanilla (I’m going to try the Rooibos one next). This was going to be my new comforting, bed time, winter tea… and guess what? I can make it EVEN BETTER, and more NOURISHING!
Yep, here’s how I pimped my Chai…
- 1 Chai Teabag (I chose Vanilla flavour)
- Sweetener of your choice, to taste (I use Stevia drops, about 20)
- 1 Egg (Organic is preferable)
- 2 - 3 Tbsp Butter (Grass fed is preferable), or Coconut Oil - for Dairy Free Option
- Sprinkle of
Cayenne(or your favourite spice) for garnish
- Freshly boiled water
- Kettle and mini teapot, or little milk jug
- Handheld Immersion Blender or, free standing blender
- Mug, cup or jug wide enough for Immersion blender to fit
- Fill your kettle with fresh water and bring to the boil
- Pop a teabag in your mini teapot or pouring milk jug
- Once kettle has boiled pour over teabag and allow to steep for a few minutes
- Meanwhile, in your large drinking mug, crack the egg, add dollop of butter and sweetener, if using.
- Stick your immersion blender into the drinking mug and start whizzing.
- Pour a little of the boiling water in to help melt butter and start emulsifying the mixture.
- Remove blender.
- Now top up your 'creamy' blend with the brewed Chai.
- Or, simply throw the brewed tea, egg, butter and sweetener in a blender and whizz till frothy.
- Sprinkle with spice.
- Inhale (this is important), savour the aroma slowly… Love. is. in. the. air!
- Now drink!
Ouch! I feel a song coming on...
"My Chai... is superfly... in the sky... like apple pie… da da da dum dum dum deee daaa..."
Much Love and Gratitude and Happy Nibbling