Skip to main content

‘No-Pea’ Green Soup with Spicy Chorizo and Feta! Mmmmmmh...



So its getting colder here… and in my household that means two things: 

  • Mommy wants her electric blanket, and... 
  • Mommy’s Cooking Soup for Supper! Yay! (I can actually hear my Six groan as I type this). I think, with my kids, it’s a texture thing? They don’t like anything soupy, mashed or too saucy (yes, I feel sorry for me too...) But that’s okay because, if its for-my-mouth-only, it allows me to be a bit more daring with my flavours and spices. Oooh, how exciting, I get to be daring with my broccoli soup? (I really need to work on my salcasm, I know).


But, seriously, this soup is actually quite mild in flavour so don’t ‘chicken-out’ when it comes to adding the cayenne pepper or the spicy sausage. It needs the saltiness and different layers of heat to pack a punch. If, by some lucky chance, your kiddies like eating soup, but don’t want it too spicy, then keep the cayenne pepper for soft warmth, and replace the sausage with smoked bacon, or ham, or even diced, left over chicken pieces, instead.

And you wont even miss the croutons of your old, wheat-eating life, because the different textures of the sausage and feta add a lovely crunch and ‘chew’ all on their own. Trust me.

Serves 2 large or 4 small bowls

INGREDIENTS

  • A knob of Butter and a splosh of Olive Oil, for frying
  • 1 Chorizo sausage (or six strips of streaky bacon for a milder, kiddy version - or cooked chicken breast or ham) chopped into small pieces
  • 2 Leeks, wash thoroughly and chopped
  • 1 head of Broccoli, broken up into florets
  • 750ml - 1 litre of good Chicken Stock
  • Himalayan Salt and White Pepper to taste
  • ¼ - ½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
  • 1 Egg
  • ¼ Cup grated Parmesan (or strong, mature Cheddar)
  • A bunch of fresh Parsley, roughly chopped
  • Big handful of washed, Baby Spinach, roughly chopped

 TO SERVE

  •  A dollop of Cream or Cream Cheese or Milk or Coconut Milk to thin
  • A crumbling of Feta

 EQUIPMENT

  •  Medium sized heavy saucepan
  • Immersion blender OR blender

 METHOD
  • Place your knob of butter and splosh of oil in your heavy saucepan, over medium heat. Note: if using Chorizo, you will need much less butter/oil than if frying bacon as the sausage has loads of delicious flavourful fat.
  • Gently fry your spicy sausage pieces, or bacon, till crisp, remove and set aside.



  • In same pan, with remaining sausage/bacon fat, fry onion till translucent and softened.
  • Add broccoli, stock and seasoning and simmer, covered, for about 5 - 10 minutes until broccoli is soft and tender.
  • Remove from heat.
  • Add egg, cheeses, cream, parsley and baby spinach and blitz in your blender (you might need to do this in stages) or straight in the pot with your clever little immersion stick blender, until smooth and creamy.


  • You may wish to loosen it with a little more cream or stock, depending on how thick/creamy you like it.
  • Taste test. Check seasoning.
  • Plate up your soup into warmed bowls and garnish with sausage meat and crumbled feta.





Voila. Spicy soup to warm you up, for when your electric blanket is just not enough!

Much love, gratitude and happy nibbling

xox

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Itty Bitty Chocolate Mini Cakes - in a cup - in 60 seconds!

Here's my little itty-bitty chocolate cake, baked in a cup, and in 60 seconds!



Nut-free. Gluten-free. Grain-free. Sugar-free. Low-carb. Dairy free options.
Afternoon tea-and-cake just got REAL, people. Real quick. Real easy. And Real healthy too. You cant even call this a cheat meal (although it tastes like a sneaky, naughty cheat) because it’s all within the rules of eating low carb, gluten free, sugar free and therefore healthy, right?)

This makes four ½ cup ramekins. It’s coconut flour based (although not 'coconutty' in flavour at all) and quite filling. I’ve been known to make a bigger one for me (all in the name of science, of course) and, well, let’s just say my eyes were bigger than my tummy. For an afternoon snack, with an espresso or cup of tea, a small ramekin is perfect (and then you have one left for tomorrow, and the next day too).
Now, because I made these on a random Monday afternoon after picking up my brood from gymnastics, I didn’t have the time, nor inclinat…

Best Pouring Custard... like, ever! (Sugar free, Dairy free)

If you are like me, and your gut gets into a knot at the very site of cream or too much milk, then this recipe is for you, baby!

Or, if you can handle dairy (which is annoying), but you have a cold or a chesty cough and you don't want to exacerbate your symptoms, then this warm, soft and velvety custard is just the thing to make you feel so much better. 

When warm, it is the consistency of pouring cream, perfect for drizzling over Christmas pudding or over my low carb and nut free Quickest Chocolate Mini Cakes.

Here you can see it thickened beautifully in the fridge by the next day.
If you can tolerate butter, I have added it in at the end, but this is not necessary. It does, I find, help to mellow out the coconut cream. Now I actually lurve all things coconut, in all its beautiful variations, but in custard I'm looking for a softer, more VANILLA flavour... and, by Jove, I think I've done it!
This will now be my go-to recipe for all things custard related, and can be pimped and…

Rendered Beef Tallow. Oh dear, Im turning into Martha Stewart!

I've just rendered my very own, highest grade, beef tallow...  and made my Victorian Great Grandmother, Grace, very proud. In case you didn’t know, Tallow is beef FAT, in the same way that Lard is pig fat and Duck Fat is, well um... duck fat. I’m lucky enough to be friends with an awesome woman who just happens to supply local Cape Town restaurants with the most amazing Wagyu beef (gold mine as friends go, right?) For those of you who are not yet familiar with this wonder-of- nature, it is a breed of cattle that originates in Japan where it is known as ‘Kobe beef’. Kobe Beef is Wagyu [pronounced ‘wag-you’] that comes from the Kobe region in Japan. Here they are regarded as a national treasure (it’s that good) and for many years only the Emporor, his family and his Samurai could eat Wagyu beef. It is rumoured that they fed these treasured beasts a strict diet, including beer, and washed them with the Japanese rice wine, Sake, spat by monks (yes, spat on, with sake, by monks – how del…