Skip to main content

Thick Chocolate Cloud Mousse (Immediately!)


Gluten + Grain+ Dairy + Sugar + Egg Free

Its eight o’clock at night. The kids are snoring. You’re getting ready to settle down for your highly anticipated grown-up hour of … (fill in the blank), but something is missing... Could it be Chocolate Mousse? If you are me, the answer is a resounding “Hell Yes Please Now!”

This recipe takes exactly five minutes from conception of said idea, to first-spoon-in-the-mouth. Yes, you heard me right - FIVE MINUTES people! No, heating, melting, folding or setting time needed. Just a bowl and a whisk!

This marvelous dessert is whipped coconut cream. Yep. It's that simple. Go buy a couple of tins (read the labels, as some add sugars and other nasties - in fact I'm going to be making my own from now own…watch this space for the how-to soon) and store them in the fridge. This allows the cream to separate from the ‘water’ and thicken up, ready for use at a (desperate) moments notice. Just make sure you are not buying “Lite”, it wont work, and anyway, its horrid. Also note that different brands yield different thickness, and quantities of cream. 


This particular tin was very thick, and practically the entire can solidified - which is great because it meant that it made a whopping load of mousse - and that's good value for money.

Now you’re ready to go. Grab some good raw Cacao powder, Sweetener of your choice, add some good Vanilla Extract and/or organic Coffee* (I add both, it brings out the chocolate), whip it up and gobble it down!

*Minus the coffee - or use decaf - if you’re giving it to your kiddies. Both my Six and Two devoured it, and this is rare as they are annoyingly fussy. [... p.s. I was going to put a little smiley face here, but then I remembered, it really is just annoying having fussy eaters, isn't it?]

Aaaaaaanyway… lets get back to indulging ourselves, shall we? 

Here we go...

INGREDIENTS


  • 1 x Tin Coconut Cream (that has been stored in the fridge, at least for a few hours, and is very cold)
  • 2, 3 or 4 Tbsp Raw Cacao (I don’t measure, I just add until I'm happy with colour and flavour)
  • Sweeteners of your choice to taste (This is so subjective. I find my taste buds changing and I'm using less and less sweeteners to achieve what I call ‘sweet’. So if I put in a few drops of Stevia, this might not be enough for you, or my kiddies, so I add a teaspoon or two of powdered Xylitol as well, to taste, if I decide to share with them. Go ahead and taste as you go, I will not judge you as you lick, lick, lick your way through the bowl).
  • 1 tsp good Vanilla Extract or Coffee Extract or freeze dried instant Organic Coffee Granules (I usually add a dash of vanilla and a scoop of instant coffee. They both work beautifully to INTENSIFY the chocolaty flavour. If you want a more Mocha flavour, then by all means, add more coffee, you daredevil you.

TO SERVE

Some sprinkle nuts (flaked or nibbed almonds, or chopped hazelnuts are good too) lightly toasted (try not to burn them like I almost did)

[As you can see I did not wait for my nuts to cool... A lesson in patience? Nah!]

EQUIPMENT

A medium bowl (if you want a two tone mousse like mine then you need two bowls)
A whisk and a warmed-up bicep (don’t worry its really not that hard - I'm too lazy to pull out my mixer most times)

 METHOD


  • Firstly, open your can of coconut cream (don't shake the can) and scoop out only the thick, creamy stuff on top. Discard the watery stuff at the bottom UNLESS your cream is thick like mine was, then you could add a tablespoon of the water to loosen it slightly.
  • Start whisking for a minute or two to lighten the mousse and make it nice and silky. It will thicken up magically just like whipping cream 'from the cow'!
  • Add your Vanilla Extract and sweeteners to taste, and mix.
  • Scoop out about a 1/3 of the cream into a second small bowl and set aside. This is essentially your whipped cream topping.
  • Now add your cocoa and coffee to your first bowl. Whisk away till incorporated. 
  • Finger Taste Test. This is crucial. All good cooks do it. Does it need more sweetness? More Cacao? You decide, be bold, be brave.
  • Now serve a big dollop of chocolate mousse in a pretty bowl and top with a dollop of the whipped ‘cream’ and sprinkle with nuts, or shaved chocolate, or dusted cacao powder or nothing at all. It's lovely as is.


IF there is any left over, it can be stored in the fridge, waiting patiently, until the next emergency arises.



AND SOME MORE IDEAS  
(just because you can) 
  • This mousse also serves well as a topping or icing for my Nutty Choc-chip Cappuccino Cup Cake. Heavenly. It does melt though if heated, which is also a good thing, but if you want it to hold its shape then ice only once cakes have cooled to room temperature.
  • You could also stir through some thick and crunchy Almond Butter for a yummy, nutty twist.
  • Or layer it, in a pretty glass, atop some crumbled chocolate cake, and some fresh berries. A super decadent and snazzy dessert to serve to guests, and easily prepared in advance. 

Now you have the basics, go wild with it, and let me know how you like it.

Oh, and you’re Welcome.

Much Love and Gratitude and Happy Nibbling!

xox



Comments

Anonymous said…

OMH ... I can't wait to try it ... sounds fabulous!

Excellent!
Lovies
Collette
Caghrey West said…
Let me know what you think, Collette. It is also VERY friendly on your tummy and... um... toilet routine (if you get my drift?) xxx

Popular posts from this blog

Itty Bitty Chocolate Mini Cakes - in a cup - in 60 seconds!

Here's my little itty-bitty chocolate cake, baked in a cup, and in 60 seconds!



Nut-free. Gluten-free. Grain-free. Sugar-free. Low-carb. Dairy free options.
Afternoon tea-and-cake just got REAL, people. Real quick. Real easy. And Real healthy too. You cant even call this a cheat meal (although it tastes like a sneaky, naughty cheat) because it’s all within the rules of eating low carb, gluten free, sugar free and therefore healthy, right?)

This makes four ½ cup ramekins. It’s coconut flour based (although not 'coconutty' in flavour at all) and quite filling. I’ve been known to make a bigger one for me (all in the name of science, of course) and, well, let’s just say my eyes were bigger than my tummy. For an afternoon snack, with an espresso or cup of tea, a small ramekin is perfect (and then you have one left for tomorrow, and the next day too).
Now, because I made these on a random Monday afternoon after picking up my brood from gymnastics, I didn’t have the time, nor inclinat…

Best Pouring Custard... like, ever! (Sugar free, Dairy free)

If you are like me, and your gut gets into a knot at the very site of cream or too much milk, then this recipe is for you, baby!

Or, if you can handle dairy (which is annoying), but you have a cold or a chesty cough and you don't want to exacerbate your symptoms, then this warm, soft and velvety custard is just the thing to make you feel so much better. 

When warm, it is the consistency of pouring cream, perfect for drizzling over Christmas pudding or over my low carb and nut free Quickest Chocolate Mini Cakes.

Here you can see it thickened beautifully in the fridge by the next day.
If you can tolerate butter, I have added it in at the end, but this is not necessary. It does, I find, help to mellow out the coconut cream. Now I actually lurve all things coconut, in all its beautiful variations, but in custard I'm looking for a softer, more VANILLA flavour... and, by Jove, I think I've done it!
This will now be my go-to recipe for all things custard related, and can be pimped and…

Irresistible Rocky Road

This is a lovely no bake treat you can make with your kids in no time. It’s great for the holidays and the kids ask to make them for parties, especially. And the best part is… you can choose which ingredients suit your taste and diet preference. We opted for blueberries over those awfully sweet, and artificially red, glazed cherries usually found in traditional Rocky Road. Blueberries, are softly sweet and slightly sour. These mini marshmallows are not sugar-free but I allow them in small quantities. You can omit them (or even make your own sugar free marshmallows?) but I find their soft texture adds a lovely chewiness to the bite. My four year old complained, saying the nuts were a bit too hard for him to chew, so together, we made a separate batch with just blueberries and marshmallows, and these were still lovely, but trust me, if your dentures can handle the crunch, the salted nuts and sesame seeds help cut through the sweetness and enhance the chocolatey flavour to the max! I keep a st…