Skip to main content

Sunday's Benedict Breakfast (the cheat’s version)


Grain+Gluten Free and Low Carb

I Love Breakfast! (I think, if you look at my list of recipes you will have already established that) And Eggs Benedict is at the very top of that list, especially when eating out. Yet, I don’t make it at home very often because it can be a bit of a pain to make hollandaise sauce from scratch at 9am in the morning!

So I took inspiration from a sauce recipe from one of my favourite celebrity chefs, Bill Granger, and re-invented the Benedict, like this:

I’ve removed the English Muffin (I do have a pretty good grain free version though, to substitute - recipe to follow soon) and replaced with a giant brown mushroom. I simply didn’t want to have to make the muffin as well, too impatient this morning.

The warmed ham is there, although crispy bacon is equally good. And the poached egg is most definitely there - cooked to medium.

Now, the sauce is WHERE ITS AT! It’s Greek Yoghurt (double cream) with some minced garlic stirred in and warmed, ever so gently, in the oven. Whilst the drizzle is simply some good olive oil and paprika stirred together to colour the oil a beautiful burnt, smokey orange.

That’s it. Easy Pleasey.



Here we go.

Get all your ingredients prepped or cooked and ready to plate up.

Baby Spinach, a handful
1 x Giant Mushroom
1 x piece sliced cooked Ham (the type for sandwiches)
1 x Egg
2 Tbsp Greek Yoghurt + ½ tsp Garlic paste
½ Tbsp Olive Oil + ¼ tsp Smoked Paprika

Pre-heat your oven to 150 degrees C
First mix your Yoghurt and Garlic paste in a small bowl and place in warmed oven to gently heat up while you get everything else ready. I wouldn’t recommend the microwave, the yoghurt might split if heated too quickly or too hot.
Place your breakfast plate in the same oven with your ham to warm through.
Fry your giant mushroom in a knob of garlic butter, and a splosh of soya sauce.
Poach your egg (or fry, I suppose, if you don’t have a poacher) to medium.
Melt some butter in a small pan and toss in your baby spinach for a minute to wilt. Season.
Lastly, mix your oil and paprika in a small bowl, and stir.

Now for the assembly… presentation is important you know?

Get your warmed breakfast plate (and everything else) from the oven. Put aside the ham, just for a second.
Place your wilted, buttery spinach in the centre of your plate and flatten slightly.
Then place your mushroom, face up, on the spinach.
Then your warm ham on top of the mushroom so that the egg has something level to balance on.
Next is your flat bottomed poached egg.
Then spoon your warm, garlicky yoghurt over the egg.
And finally, drizzle the paprika oil over the yoghurt.


Now go! Eat! You can thank me later…


Much love, gratitude and happy nibbling!

xox


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yes, I put butter (and EGG) in my coffee... Milk is SO last season!

  Hot Buttery Egg Coffee Gasp! Horror! Now just let it sink in…and stop pulling that face…I know it sounds weird and even ‘eeeuuww’ but trust me, if you like custard, ice-cream, eggnog etc then you can like my Hot Buttery Egg Coffee - it’s the same principal. The egg is 'cooked' in the boiling water. And the fat from the egg and butter (you could add coconut oil as well, or instead of) satiates you for hours. I’ve even gone as far as putting in two eggs when I know I’m only getting to eat again by late afternoon. You can also add cream or milk if you can tolerate it but, really, it doesn’t need it. The egg and butter emulsify so beautifully you have a creamy latte in a matter of seconds. In fact, I wont drink coffee now any other way! It first caught my eye on this super blog here  and then I really sat up and took notice after reading about it here  aswell. It’s actually not that unheard of in the sugar free world (also known as Low Carb) that I've

Home Made BAKING POWDER: Aluminum/Starch/Gluten/Grain/GMO Free.

Home Made Baking Powder Aluminum Free. Starch Free. GMO Free. Gluten Free. Today you get to play like a chemist and ‘make’ your own stash of home made BAKING POWDER! Ta daa… What is it, really? Baking powder is a leavening (raising) agent used in most baked goods. It lightens the texture and increases the volume in our cakes, muffins and even bread by releasing carbon dioxide bubbles into the wet batter. Its all very science, chemistry wot-not… yet totally necessary if you want your cupcakes light and fluffy. Why make your own? Why, you ask? Well here’s what in the shop-bought stuff… Commercially produced baking powder contains aluminum, yes #gaspshockhorror, Sodium Aluminum Sulfate or Sodium Aluminum Phosphate. This stuff has b een linked with the development of Alzheimer’s Disease and has no place being in my bon bons. It can also leave a slight metallic aftertaste in cakes with a delicate flavour (how lovely?). It can also contain gene

The Portable Frittata!

It’s like an omlette… It’s like a quiche… It looks like a muffin…but it’s a frittata?   Gluten+Grain+Sugar Free + Low Carb.    I keep getting asked about sugar-free breakfasts for those who work at an office, or who don’t have the time to prepare and eat a cooked breakfast, before rushing to sit in traffic (crazy humans we are?).  So here I am, giving you options (don’t say I don’t do things for you)... you can pimp your morning cuppa java into a HOT BUTTERY EGG COFFEE , or you could whip up a batch of BLUEBERRY BREAKFAST BOMBES ...  and now I bring you the Portable Frittata !  Sounds interesting, doesn’t it? This is not really an original recipe, more of a redo, taking yesterday's most delicious  CARAMELISED OMLETTE and making it lunchbox (and kiddie) friendly.  I urge you to feel free and experiment with ingredients and ratios. This is not baking, this is more like throwing caution (and ingredients) to the wind and letting your inner goddess/rebel