Skip to main content

Perfect Pilau Cauli-Rice (for breakfast, lunch and dinner)

No-Grain Rice for Curries


Made from wonderful Cauliflower!
Grain+Gluten+Sugar+Dairy Free + Low Carb!

If you are following a Grain-Free eating plan like me, yet you miss rice, terribly, well then, I have some good news, you can have your rice, albeit… “myy waaayyyyy” *SING IT LIKE FRANKIE!*

I was in the mood for some curry this weekend. “Whaaa?” I know, it’s crazy. 30 degrees C and sweltering hot by 9am, and Miss Nibbles wants curry? (And no, Mommy, I’m not pregnant) I just love a good Indian Curry (an’ ol), it doesn’t matter what the weather is 'doing'. I lived in Durban, Kwa-Zulu Natal for years, it's in my blood.

So I threw together a scrummy *Butter Chicken for the family, and made it nice and mild because nobody else likes spicy in my house, and they insist they cant eat anything hot - yes I live with a bunch of nancy’s!

Anyhoo, everyone knows, you have to have some sort of starch to mop up the juicy bits, either a naan bread, or a roti, or lots of got-to-be-yellow rice… 

[Cue music]…[drumroll]…[enters stage from the left]… 

...Hence, I present a no-grain rice for curries, made from cauliflower, that is... "My Perfect Pilau Cauli-Rice”



It’s dead easy to make and tastes amazing. Plus you get to sneak more veges in to your little ones’ mouths, which is always a good thing. And dont even get me started on the health benefits of Tumeric! It is listed as being anti-inflammatory, assists in warding off dementia and even preventing cancer - click HERE  to read up on how amazing this spice really is...



And speaking of spice: I love to use whole spices and grind them freshly in my coffee/spice grinder (I keep this grinding baby close to me at all times, plugged in and ready to go. I use it, and my Immersion Blender next to the kettle, every day - true story) If you don’t have a spice grinder you could throw some spice balls on a breadboard and crush them slowly under a heavy frying pan. However, if all of this is a schlep to do, the shop bought, bottled spice variety is fine, just make sure they are not 10 years old, and dusty….

Right, are you ready? 

Here goes... prepare to be amazed!


INGREDIENTS

1 head of Cauliflower, grated coarsely
1 Tbsp Butter or Coconut Oil
1 tsp Garlic, minced 
1 tsp Ginger, minced (or ½ tsp dried ginger powder)
1 tsp or less Cayenne Pepper, to taste (we want gentle warm, not blow-your-socks-off heat)
1 tsp heaped Tumeric powder
1 tsp ground Himalayan Salt
½ tsp Cumin seeds, crushed
1 tsp Coriander seeds, crushed 
½ cup Chicken / Veg stock, or boiling water, or full cream Coconut Milk  
A few drops of Stevia, or suitable sugar replacement (about 1 tsp) to taste

2 Tbsp Butter (plus 1 Tbsp cooking oil to prevent burning) or 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
1 red onion cut in half and sliced

Handful fresh coriander and flat leaf parsley leaves roughly chopped
1 Tbsp dried chilli flakes (optional)
A sprinkling of toasted desiccated coconut (optional)

EQUIPMENT

1 Heavy based frying pan for onions
1 Casserole pot for 'rice'
1 Spice Grinder or a breadboard and heavy pan to crush seeds

METHOD

Gently fry onion half moons in some coconut oil/butter on low heat until caramelized - if you are patient and caring, this could take about 10 - 15 minutes. Be careful not to burn or it will go bitter.



Meanwhile, in a large casserole pot melt butter or coconut oil, place ginger, garlic and spices into pan and stir until spices release their oils and become fragrant, about a minute.
Add your coconut milk, liquid stock or boiling water and mix (In this recipe I used stock, as I needed my coconut milk for the Butter Chicken recipe - but it is equally good)

Pour in cauliflower and mix until every ‘grain’ is covered in a lovely yellow hue. Don’t forget your seasoning.
Put the lid on and allow to steam gently for about 5 min. Do not overcook as it could go soggy.


Turn off the heat, add in caramelized onions and fluff up ‘grains’ with a fork.

Garnish with as much coriander, parsley and extra chilli flakes (if using) as you like, and serve proudly alongside any curry dish, or eat on its own, it's that good!



P.S Now do yourself a favour... Keep some for tomorrow morning (if you can bare it?)and reheat in a pan (or nuke for a minute in the microwave) and top with a soft fried egg, a big knob of butter and more chilli flakes! HOLY MOLY it is a thing of beauty!

P.P.S *Butter Chicken Recipe to follow… as soon as I can remember how I actually made it!

Now Go! Eat!

Much Love and Gratitude and Happy Nibbling, Durban Style! 

xox

Comments

Yummy, my gluten free tummy is growling now. I am off to share this, thanks!
Thanks Brandi, enjoy!
Much love and happy nibbling
xox

Popular posts from this blog

Itty Bitty Chocolate Mini Cakes - in a cup - in 60 seconds!

Here's my little itty-bitty chocolate cake, baked in a cup, and in 60 seconds!



Nut-free. Gluten-free. Grain-free. Sugar-free. Low-carb. Dairy free options.
Afternoon tea-and-cake just got REAL, people. Real quick. Real easy. And Real healthy too. You cant even call this a cheat meal (although it tastes like a sneaky, naughty cheat) because it’s all within the rules of eating low carb, gluten free, sugar free and therefore healthy, right?)

This makes four ½ cup ramekins. It’s coconut flour based (although not 'coconutty' in flavour at all) and quite filling. I’ve been known to make a bigger one for me (all in the name of science, of course) and, well, let’s just say my eyes were bigger than my tummy. For an afternoon snack, with an espresso or cup of tea, a small ramekin is perfect (and then you have one left for tomorrow, and the next day too).
Now, because I made these on a random Monday afternoon after picking up my brood from gymnastics, I didn’t have the time, nor inclinat…

Best Pouring Custard... like, ever! (Sugar free, Dairy free)

If you are like me, and your gut gets into a knot at the very site of cream or too much milk, then this recipe is for you, baby!

Or, if you can handle dairy (which is annoying), but you have a cold or a chesty cough and you don't want to exacerbate your symptoms, then this warm, soft and velvety custard is just the thing to make you feel so much better. 

When warm, it is the consistency of pouring cream, perfect for drizzling over Christmas pudding or over my low carb and nut free Quickest Chocolate Mini Cakes.

Here you can see it thickened beautifully in the fridge by the next day.
If you can tolerate butter, I have added it in at the end, but this is not necessary. It does, I find, help to mellow out the coconut cream. Now I actually lurve all things coconut, in all its beautiful variations, but in custard I'm looking for a softer, more VANILLA flavour... and, by Jove, I think I've done it!
This will now be my go-to recipe for all things custard related, and can be pimped and…

Irresistible Rocky Road

This is a lovely no bake treat you can make with your kids in no time. It’s great for the holidays and the kids ask to make them for parties, especially. And the best part is… you can choose which ingredients suit your taste and diet preference. We opted for blueberries over those awfully sweet, and artificially red, glazed cherries usually found in traditional Rocky Road. Blueberries, are softly sweet and slightly sour. These mini marshmallows are not sugar-free but I allow them in small quantities. You can omit them (or even make your own sugar free marshmallows?) but I find their soft texture adds a lovely chewiness to the bite. My four year old complained, saying the nuts were a bit too hard for him to chew, so together, we made a separate batch with just blueberries and marshmallows, and these were still lovely, but trust me, if your dentures can handle the crunch, the salted nuts and sesame seeds help cut through the sweetness and enhance the chocolatey flavour to the max! I keep a st…