Skip to main content

My Little Oaty Crumpets - wheat free, dairy free


I’ve decided to share another Easy Peasy Child Friendly recipe today seeing as we are still in the thick of school holidays and we have a bit more time in the mornings to enjoy our breakfasts.


However, this recipe is so quick and easy, and uses everyday pantry ingredients, that I have been known to whip these up on a school morning in no time, or even as an afternoon snack to cheer up my Little Buttercup after a hard day at playschool.(Confession time: I’ve even devoured these for supper one night on a slightly hormonal evening not too long ago - husband traveling, kids driving me mad, you understand, right?).

And yet I feel rather virtuous when I serve these (yes even for supper) because they really are healthy - no jokes!  It’s all fibre and hardly any sugar at all, in fact you can omit the sugar altogether, if you are so inclined.
And, (now we are really on a roll) you could even add some protein by topping with a sprinkle of flaked almonds, or even spreading with your favourite nut butter (num num), which equals a balanced meal. Perfection

  • I’ve added freshly ground flax seeds, to sneak in more essential fatty acids.
  • Using Xylitol sugar ensures the glycemic load stays way low.
  • It is ridiculously high in fibre (your intestines are thanking me as we speak)
  • I find these very gentle on my digestion, as the oats is cooked so briefly and does not become glutinous as with cooked oats or porridge. I tend to get cramps after eating cooked oats porridge, but luckily not with these little pillows of delight. 
  • I bought the sweetest shapes to cook them in, but only remembered I had these after they were cooked :-( but they are super for kids…

INGREDIENTS

175g        whole rolled oats (not instant) - processed in your food processor into flour
1 Tbsp     whole flax seed - finely ground into meal (best to use a coffee grinder) 
½ tsp       ground cinnamon
2 Tbsp    Xylitol sugar, or a few drops of Stevia (this can be omitted totally or replaced with any sugar/replacement to suite your taste and dietary requirements)


1               large free-range or organic egg, lightly beaten
1 Cup      dairy free milk of your choice
1tsp         good vanilla extract
4-5 Tbsp  water to loosen batter, as required

Cooking spray or coconut oil for frying

Optional toppings
Blueberries, baby raisins, choc chips, baby marshmallows, nibbed nuts, the list is endless…
 
Serving options; Top with:
Greek yoghurt (if allowed); 
Sliced banana and a few strawberries; 
Posh poached pear is beautiful; 
Blueberry compote (blueberries simmered in sugared water for +/- 5 minutes);
Good maple or agave syrup


METHOD
  • Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl. (I have to say that the cinnamon added here is more for the smell than anything else. It reminds me, again, of my Mum. I smell cinnamon and I’m home. Bliss) 
  • Mix the egg, milk and vanilla (oh the smell of vanilla!) in a jug. 
  • Add wet to dry ingredients all in one go and mix to combine. 

(You may wish to now use a stick/emersion blender to smoothen the batter if your oat flour was not ground enough - however I’m often too lazy or rushed and am still happy with a slightly more textured crumpet - either way is delish) 
  • Ladle small scoops of batter into your hot, greased frying pan. 
  • Sprinkle your toppings onto the cooking crumpets. Allow to cook for about a minute, flip it and cook for another 30 seconds. 
  • Remove to a warm plate and repeat. Easy Peasy! 

Note: As your crumpet batter stands, the oats will absorb some of the liquids and start to thicken. Simply add a few tablespoons of water or non-dairy milk after each batch to loosen.

As you can see, my Little Pie Face asked to experiment on the last crumpet, make it a BIG one and throw everything on - and being the risk taker that I am, I did - all in the name of science, of course.

Virtuous dieters look away now… (it was so delicious, I cannot explain).


Of course if you chose to use blueberries, it would also be so delicious and totally good for you, but, hey, its winter here and I don’t even have dried blueberries in my pantry, let alone the fresh ones… so choc chips and baby marshmallows will have to do (oh the hardship).

Loveliness present in every bite!


 






Comments

Anonymous said…
fantastic Sunshine, sounds absolutely dislish

Hugs
Nina
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said…
Thanks Nina
Hugs back at ya!
Happy Nibbling
xox

Popular posts from this blog

Yes, I put butter (and EGG) in my coffee... Milk is SO last season!

  Hot Buttery Egg Coffee Gasp! Horror! Now just let it sink in…and stop pulling that face…I know it sounds weird and even ‘eeeuuww’ but trust me, if you like custard, ice-cream, eggnog etc then you can like my Hot Buttery Egg Coffee - it’s the same principal. The egg is 'cooked' in the boiling water. And the fat from the egg and butter (you could add coconut oil as well, or instead of) satiates you for hours. I’ve even gone as far as putting in two eggs when I know I’m only getting to eat again by late afternoon. You can also add cream or milk if you can tolerate it but, really, it doesn’t need it. The egg and butter emulsify so beautifully you have a creamy latte in a matter of seconds. In fact, I wont drink coffee now any other way! It first caught my eye on this super blog here  and then I really sat up and took notice after reading about it here  aswell. It’s actually not that unheard of in the sugar free world (also known as Low Carb) that I've

The Portable Frittata!

It’s like an omlette… It’s like a quiche… It looks like a muffin…but it’s a frittata?   Gluten+Grain+Sugar Free + Low Carb.    I keep getting asked about sugar-free breakfasts for those who work at an office, or who don’t have the time to prepare and eat a cooked breakfast, before rushing to sit in traffic (crazy humans we are?).  So here I am, giving you options (don’t say I don’t do things for you)... you can pimp your morning cuppa java into a HOT BUTTERY EGG COFFEE , or you could whip up a batch of BLUEBERRY BREAKFAST BOMBES ...  and now I bring you the Portable Frittata !  Sounds interesting, doesn’t it? This is not really an original recipe, more of a redo, taking yesterday's most delicious  CARAMELISED OMLETTE and making it lunchbox (and kiddie) friendly.  I urge you to feel free and experiment with ingredients and ratios. This is not baking, this is more like throwing caution (and ingredients) to the wind and letting your inner goddess/rebel

Blueberry Bombe for Breakfast - cooked in a Cup - in 60 seconds!

It’s a Muffin - in a Cup - in 60 seconds!   Gluten+Grain+Dairy+Sugar Free and Low Carb, of course! You gotta make this…it’s a   no-grainer ! Here is another itty bitty cake made for two, in the microwave, in just 60 seconds. I did not cut this one in half and share it, but if I were making this for a tea time snack, I might have shown more restraint and portioned it in two. This recipe is an easy adaptation of my NUTTY CHOC-CHIP CAPPUCINO MUFFIN  except this time I wanted to use up some left over blueberries. So I kept the nuts and added the blueberries and some lemon zest. So refreshing and very moist - just what a girl needs with her morning tea. I mean, how awesome that I get to have cake for breakfast, and call it healthy? [Blueberries make it healthy, don’t they? And almonds? Of course!] Best of all its super filling, and without the sugar rush-crash-craziness. You can choose your own nut combination, I love nuts so I add a lot, mixe