Skip to main content

THE ENGLISH MUFFIN (a.k.a. Toast)

THE ENGLISH MUFFIN (a.k.a. Toast)


Gluten+Grain+Dairy+Sugar Free 

Sometimes you just need to put your breakfast’s egg on something. I don’t miss bread that much anymore, but I seem to have a bit of a mental block when it comes to eating a fried egg without something underneath. Often, I use a big mushroom. Sometimes, a bed of spinach. I've even used left-over ratatoullie shaped into a little nest for my soft-poached breakfast egg (which is yummy, by the way). The point is, I just can’t eat a fried egg without SOMETHING underneath.

Wouldn’t a quickie English-style muffin work nicely? [Think Eggs Benedict on a Sunday Morning - the Cheats Version] Sound good? As long as its Grain and Gluten free, of course? I thought so, too. So here’s one… and it’s a quick one. You can bake two of these in the time it takes you to poach/ boil/ fry/ scramble your eggs.

Here it is…

INGREDIENTS 
(Makes 2 English Muffins)

¼ Cup Almond Meal
2 Tbsp Butter / Coconut Oil
Pinch of Sweetener of choice (I used 1/8th tsp Stevia powder)
Good pinch of Himalayan Salt (or less if going for a sweeter version)
1 Egg
1 tsp Parmesan Cheese (optional - excellent for savoury version)


METHOD 

Mix everything together in a bowl with a fork.

Photograph of two different sized ramekins for comparison. Large, on the left, is recommended.
 Pour sloppy batter into 2 x large ramekins. Regular ramekins will result in smaller muffins.

2 Large Ramekins, compared to regular sized ramekin.
Microwave on full power for one minute. Check if cooked. Continue to cook in 10 second increments, if necessary. (I removed the one muffin, on the right, and continued to cook the other for another 10 seconds.)


They will come out so lovely and soft and almost cakey. You could use as is (or make French toast), but we want a more crispy texture, so remove from ramekin and pan fry in a lightly oiled, hot frying pan, on both sides, for about a minute each, so it resembles the conventional English Muffin. 

[I wouldn’t recommend using a toaster.] [I would recommend frying some bacon first and using that juicy pan to then fry your English Muffins! Hmm?]

Now you are ready to pop an egg on top, or serve with butter and grated cheese, or some melting brie and prosciutto, or sweet with sugar free jam, or… (this list is endless, I’ll stop now, you get the idea?)

Here’s my all-pretty-and-dressed-up “BLT+ C” (Bacon, lettuce, tomato + cheese) I made this afternoon:


Toasted English Muffin + Homemade Mayo + Baby Spinach + Tomato slices + Bacon + Strong White Cheddar = S.U.B.L.I.M.E!!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yes, I put butter (and EGG) in my coffee... Milk is SO last season!

  Hot Buttery Egg Coffee Gasp! Horror! Now just let it sink in…and stop pulling that face…I know it sounds weird and even ‘eeeuuww’ but trust me, if you like custard, ice-cream, eggnog etc then you can like my Hot Buttery Egg Coffee - it’s the same principal. The egg is 'cooked' in the boiling water. And the fat from the egg and butter (you could add coconut oil as well, or instead of) satiates you for hours. I’ve even gone as far as putting in two eggs when I know I’m only getting to eat again by late afternoon. You can also add cream or milk if you can tolerate it but, really, it doesn’t need it. The egg and butter emulsify so beautifully you have a creamy latte in a matter of seconds. In fact, I wont drink coffee now any other way! It first caught my eye on this super blog here  and then I really sat up and took notice after reading about it here  aswell. It’s actually not that unheard of in the sugar free world (also known as Low Carb) that I'...

A Little Celebration for a Very Big Boy (and the food we ate)

  A Little Celebration for a Very Big Boy My little boy has just turned one years old (gasp! It still feels like yesterday when I brought him home all pink and chubby from the hospital, only two days old). And, being my second child, with time at a minimum, I organized a very small celebration for my favourite moms-in-crime and their four little ones to come and play (or in Junior’s case, four little rivals to smack and try bite if they touched his favourite toy car). The party, in the middle of a   Cape   winter downpour, was relaxed and chilled with lots of nibbling and giggling - a totally stress-free party. Stress-free because I knew I had chosen really easy, throw-together food… that was also allergy friendly. (I now stand up and declare…“Hi, my name is Caghrey, and I’m Wheat and Dairy Intolerant!” There, I said it, feeling good about it for a change, and rather chuffed for standing up and ‘owning it’. No more whining about what I   can’t   ...

Rendered Beef Tallow. Oh dear, Im turning into Martha Stewart!

I've just rendered my very own, highest grade, beef tallow...  and made my Victorian G reat Grandmother, Grace, very proud. In case you didn’t know, Tallow is beef FAT, in the same way that Lard is pig fat and Duck Fat is, well um... duck fat. I’m lucky enough to be friends with an awesome woman who just happens to supply local Cape Town restaurants with the most amazing Wagyu beef (gold mine as friends go, right?)   For those of you who are not yet familiar with this wonder-of- nature,   it is a breed of cattle that originates in Japan where it is   known as ‘Kobe beef’. Kobe Beef is Wagyu [pronounced ‘wag-you’] that comes from the Kobe region in Japan. Here they are regarded as a national treasure (it’s that good) and for many years only the Emporor, his family and his Samurai could eat Wagyu beef. It is rumoured that they fed these treasured beasts a strict diet, including beer, and washed them with the Japanese rice win...