Skip to main content

Home Made BAKING POWDER: Aluminum/Starch/Gluten/Grain/GMO Free.

Home Made Baking Powder
Aluminum Free. Starch Free. GMO Free. Gluten Free.


Today you get to play like a chemist and ‘make’ your own stash of home made BAKING POWDER! Ta daa…

What is it, really?
Baking powder is a leavening (raising) agent used in most baked goods. It lightens the texture and increases the volume in our cakes, muffins and even bread by releasing carbon dioxide bubbles into the wet batter. Its all very science, chemistry wot-not… yet totally necessary if you want your cupcakes light and fluffy.

Why make your own?
Why, you ask? Well here’s what in the shop-bought stuff…

  • Commercially produced baking powder contains aluminum, yes #gaspshockhorror, Sodium Aluminum Sulfate or Sodium Aluminum Phosphate. This stuff has been linked with the development of Alzheimer’s Disease and has no place being in my bon bons. It can also leave a slight metallic aftertaste in cakes with a delicate flavour (how lovely?).
  • It can also contain genetically modified corn starch (don’t even get me started on GMO’s - that’s another righteous blog all on its own) and we definitely don’t want/need genetically modified anything!

So make your own, it takes no time at all, and rest easy knowing exactly what’s in your food…

Option One:
Two ingredients. The purest of the pure. This has no starch added and is perfect for grain free diets. Make up in small batches when and as needed. This makes one tablespoon of Baking Powder.

1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda (Baking Soda)
2 tsp Cream of Tartar

Option Two:
The second option (the one I prefer) is to make up a larger batch to store in my pantry cupboard and forget about it for another couple of months. This option has Rice Flour added to help prevent clumping during storage, and Tartaric Acid instead of Cream of Tartar (yes there is a difference. See below if you don’t believe me ;o)


125g Rice Flour
50g Bicarbonate of Soda (Baking Soda)
50g Tartaric Acid*

Sieve ingredients into a airtight container and store in a dry, and dark pantry cupboard. 

And you're ready to start baking with a clear conscience.


Much Love and Happy Nibbling
xxx 


*What is the difference between Cream of Tartar and Tartaric Acid? “Cream of tartar is basically a weakened form of tartaric acid. After tartaric acid forms, it is mixed with potassium hydroxide to neutralize the acid. This mixture results in cream of tartar, which is not actually a cream, but a crystalline powder…” 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yes, I put butter (and EGG) in my coffee... Milk is SO last season!

  Hot Buttery Egg Coffee Gasp! Horror! Now just let it sink in…and stop pulling that face…I know it sounds weird and even ‘eeeuuww’ but trust me, if you like custard, ice-cream, eggnog etc then you can like my Hot Buttery Egg Coffee - it’s the same principal. The egg is 'cooked' in the boiling water. And the fat from the egg and butter (you could add coconut oil as well, or instead of) satiates you for hours. I’ve even gone as far as putting in two eggs when I know I’m only getting to eat again by late afternoon. You can also add cream or milk if you can tolerate it but, really, it doesn’t need it. The egg and butter emulsify so beautifully you have a creamy latte in a matter of seconds. In fact, I wont drink coffee now any other way! It first caught my eye on this super blog here  and then I really sat up and took notice after reading about it here  aswell. It’s actually not that unheard of in the sugar free world (also known as Low Carb) that I'...

A Little Celebration for a Very Big Boy (and the food we ate)

  A Little Celebration for a Very Big Boy My little boy has just turned one years old (gasp! It still feels like yesterday when I brought him home all pink and chubby from the hospital, only two days old). And, being my second child, with time at a minimum, I organized a very small celebration for my favourite moms-in-crime and their four little ones to come and play (or in Junior’s case, four little rivals to smack and try bite if they touched his favourite toy car). The party, in the middle of a   Cape   winter downpour, was relaxed and chilled with lots of nibbling and giggling - a totally stress-free party. Stress-free because I knew I had chosen really easy, throw-together food… that was also allergy friendly. (I now stand up and declare…“Hi, my name is Caghrey, and I’m Wheat and Dairy Intolerant!” There, I said it, feeling good about it for a change, and rather chuffed for standing up and ‘owning it’. No more whining about what I   can’t   ...

Rendered Beef Tallow. Oh dear, Im turning into Martha Stewart!

I've just rendered my very own, highest grade, beef tallow...  and made my Victorian G reat Grandmother, Grace, very proud. In case you didn’t know, Tallow is beef FAT, in the same way that Lard is pig fat and Duck Fat is, well um... duck fat. I’m lucky enough to be friends with an awesome woman who just happens to supply local Cape Town restaurants with the most amazing Wagyu beef (gold mine as friends go, right?)   For those of you who are not yet familiar with this wonder-of- nature,   it is a breed of cattle that originates in Japan where it is   known as ‘Kobe beef’. Kobe Beef is Wagyu [pronounced ‘wag-you’] that comes from the Kobe region in Japan. Here they are regarded as a national treasure (it’s that good) and for many years only the Emporor, his family and his Samurai could eat Wagyu beef. It is rumoured that they fed these treasured beasts a strict diet, including beer, and washed them with the Japanese rice win...